Most Venezuelans first learned of several deaths in a police station in Valencia, in the early hours of Wednesday 29, via declarations of the director of a local NGO Una Ventana a la Libertad.
So far, several media outlets are reporting 68 deaths in a confusing incident in which prisoners apparently first shot a police officer on the leg and then tried to escape by putting their mattresses on fire. General prosecutor Tarek William Saab has confirmed the news and has said his office will launch an investigation immediately. The news however, is still missing from the Agencia Venezolana de Noticias front webpage.
Aporrea webpage commentator Jesús Silva R. (@Jesus_Silva_R) has a theory of what could have happened yesterday:
“I am asking for a criminal investigation about all that could have happened in PoliCarabobo, and that all possible criminal scripts be examined, including that agents of the Venezuelan terrorist opposition could have provoked a presumed violent event in the said placed. This is the directions my suspicions are taking me as a criminalistic expert and a lawyer of the common people.”
Hours before publishing his article in Aporrea, Silva tweeted: “What is being said about PoliCarabobo is FALSE. NO deaths. NO one wounded. NO fire. NO mutiny. Only opposition war and LIES via Twitter.”